Monday, August 25, 2014

Is This Really Hinduism?

(Reposting an article which I wrote in 2008. Since I have a dedicated blog on Hinduism now, I thought I can share it again)

Today I had received an email with the subject "Save Dharma" from an unknown person who had managed to get my email id through someone. Of course, this wasn't a spam email which was sent by any automated script. The email had a message

"Dear all,
Kindly save sanathana dharma from being destroyed as shown in the attachment. Forward this mail to all and protect dharma.

DHARMO RAKSHATI RAKSHITAH
PROTECT DHARMA AND IT PROTECTS YOU".


It was indeed great to see a good line of sanskrit in the body of the email, but then when I saw the attached file, I got quite angry. The name of the file was "The Death of Hinduism" and it had presented a very extremistic view on how many hindus got converted to christianity, how politicians support these moves, etc.

I had just sent that person a small email with the following message.

"I dunno who you are and how you got my email Id. But I totally condemn this email. I m a born Hindu and I follow dharma. Whether people get converted or not, or whether the politicans support or not, its finally we who should take care of ourselves. I m living out of the country and I follow Indian tradition and values. I cant go and ask another fellow Indian why he/she is not following it. It just depends on themselves. I can find a lot of extremism in the attachment. Hinduism is all about acceptance and tolerance. That's where we tell "Hindusim is a way of living".

Anyways, I dont wanna give a lecture or explain this thing. But please do not send it across to all of us. This is again a request. Its upto you to follow it or not.

Thanks."


Many of you friends would have received emails like this. The reason for me to write about this event in my blog is because I wanted to express my views on such emails and also request all of you not to spread this kinda message to anyone.

(Update: 7th Nov, 2008)
Animesh Pathak, my senior at USC, had posted about this in his blog after reading this article. Thanks Animesh. Click Here to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment